Body mapping through cancer

Cancer diagnosis often unlocks people's creative urges-

Body mapping through cancer

Postby suecdmt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 pm

I have been involved in Dance and Therapy for many years and had the pleasure of working with Annette Schwalbe on 2 body mapping workshops with children and young people. When I was diagnosed with a rare cancer (that also left me in a wheelchair for 1.5 years), Annette offered to work with me on my own body map. It has been 5 years in process and is now part of an exhibition entitled 'Seasons of a woman, culminating in an exhibition in September in Bristol. When I embarked on my body map, I had to be helped onto the floor to work on it. I couldn't even hold a paintbrush properly, so Annette cut up washing up sponges for me to use. It has been the most precious thing to me through 2 years of gruelling treatments and then rehabilitation. Now it informs my work.

It is titled 'Woman of Earth' and introduced by Annette with these words. The link to view my map and read a brief story of it is below.
'

This month’s 'Woman of Earth' has weathered many seasons to share her wisdom and impart new life. Spanning 5 years of life threatening illness, treatment and recovery, Sue Curtis beautifully tells her story of crumbling into devastation and coming to a halt in the dust of life-drenched earth. Woman of Earth bears it all: the loss, the pain, the hope against all odds. She also holds the seeds of new beginnings - deep down, waiting. It is her patient knowing of when time is ripe that elevates her and makes her fit for veneration. Image by image, sensation by sensation, tear by tear she finally steps into life renewed.

http://www.annetteschwalbe.co.uk/2015/0 ... -body-map/
suecdmt

Return to Creativity post diagnosis: On endless shores...