We're not the only ones!

Depression comes and goes..

We're not the only ones!

Postby Judith » Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm

I was talking to my dear friend Al Alvarez (who knows a thing or two about depression: he is the author of The Savage God) about this new forum, and about how each day can seem a new drag on an already dragging spirit-- and he quoted a poem by A. E. Housman word for word, 'Yonder see the morning blink'-- which might resonate with you on the down days-- maybe each day a bit of this, and then the spirit rises, maybe not--just try and recognise this feeling as one of many, let it rise, let it break like a wave, let it dissipate...easy words to say and hard sometimes to see this through, but we can all support each other and TALKING is vital...find someone you can talk to...

cloudy dawn.jpg
cloudy dawn.jpg (2.65 KiB) Viewed 28425 times

Yonder see the morning blink:

The sun is up, and up must I,

To wash and dress and eat and drink

And look at things and talk and think

And work, and God knows why.

Oh often have I washed and dressed

And what's to show for all my pain?

Let me lie abed and rest:

Ten thousand times I've done my best

And all's to do again.

You and your family and friends may be particularly struck by dark feelings after you've had a cancer diagnosis...- while this hopefully will not be 'the new normal' it will always be around, and it's probably easier and more efficacious to accept this new feeling rather than try to 'rise above it'-- you might avoid fewer big crashes by so doing...
Judith
Site Admin

Re: How to FEEL sad rather than BE sad....

Postby Judith » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Laurie Anderson (who sang Oh Superman in the 70s and is the widow of Lou Reed) was talking recently about her new film HEART OF A DOG and she said her Tibetan master (now somewhere in private seclusion) had said it was important to allow the feeling but not become it--as we're saying here---

sadness.jpg
sadness.jpg (7.81 KiB) Viewed 28158 times

tricky maybe but doable with practice. Wake up, be aware of it, move it along in its own time...just do your best...

.and see below you can grow new brain cells to combat your down days even after the 'all clear'--medication suppresses neuron growth

https://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_thur ... anguage=en
the amazing brain.jpg
the amazing brain.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 27232 times
Judith
Site Admin

Re: We're not the only ones! Gut health and depression

Postby Judith » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 am

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ ... epression/

gut health and depression.jpg
gut health and depression.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 26445 times

See the diet section for a great and simple sauerkraut recipe posted by long-term member Stella, and it's another way to tackle depression which is of course fairly inevitable when you face a cancer diagnosis...
Judith
Site Admin

Re: We're not the only ones!

Postby sanavigupta » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am

Great Post :)
sanavigupta

Return to Let it Be