'Living Proof'

This is for relevant titles of interest with reviews.

'Living Proof'

Postby Judith » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Living Proof.jpg
Living Proof.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 6056 times
Living Proof: A Medical Mutiny by Michael Gearin Tosh (2002 Scribner): His Foreword says it all:

’The diagnosis is cancer (of the bone marrow: myeloma). The hospital tells me to start chemo at once. Without it I will die in months; with it I may live for 2 or 3 years. I ask for a second opinion: the advice is the same-start at once. Then a world authority on cancer says that if I touch chemo ‘’You’re a goner’. Which advice should I take/?... The opposite of the phrase Living proof is I suggest ‘dead wrong’. Or if you will, wrong & dead’….

Well he lived for 20 years and died of something unrelated to his cancer.

He took the Gerson route which is hugely demanding and expensive (and I believe has now been modified)-he had the best advice and the book is fascinating medically. Again I read this early on because someone I know knew him & recalls him getting his students to scrub vegetables for him (He was an Oxford professor.): what I liked most was his honesty about the down times when he just felt like giving up, not doing the visualisations, the coffee enemas, the umpteen juices a day… because there’ll be loads of down days but fewer hopefully as you go along. M G-T proved people weren’t crazy to do different things from those recommended by orthodox medics who either outright frown on anything else or scarcely tolerate it.
Judith
Site Admin

Re: 'Living Proof'-Another book here...

Postby Judith » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

A year after I posted the review of Living Proof, here is another book which is on the same page as it were-- this review is written on Amazon by someone called Rookfarn, who is also a cansurvivor.(Rookfarn if by any good chance you read this we would love to have you on the site!)

Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds by Kelly A. Turner
Radical Remission.jpg
Radical Remission.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 5904 times

As a cancer survivor I wish I had read this book before all the other things I have read about recovering from cancer. It is not one of those poorly researched books offering a magic solution to serious health problems but a well-written and serious look at the factors involved in surviving cancer.

What the author (a well-respected academic) did was talk to a large group of people who had survived cancer in spite of receiving a terminal diagnosis from the medical profession. These people were simply asked how they accounted for their unexpected recovery and specifically what they did to help them turn their health around. The result was a list of about 80 factors, including some distinctly wacky things like taking ground-up shark cartilage. But a core group of nine factors were repeatedly cited and it is these that are looked at in detail, This is not a scientific approach in the sense of doing a medical study with control groups and people taking placebo treatments, but a simple, and rather clever, look at a group of people who, for whatever reason, did not die when the medical profession expected them to.

This isn't an anti-medicine book. Many of the people studied did in fact adopt their alternative approaches instead of conventional treatment, but Dr Turner is scrupulous not to put promote this as the way forward. My take on all this is that we should accept everything that medical science has to offer us but not leave it at that. There is so much we can do for ourselves that can radically improve our chances of long-term survival and a good quality of life. If you have cancer, or are close to someone who has, I wholeheartedly recommend that you read Dr Kelly's book. It's not heavy going and it provides an excellent starting point for considering what you can do for yourself that is likely to make a real difference to your life.
Judith
Site Admin

Return to Library