The China Study

This is for relevant titles of interest with reviews.

The China Study

Postby Isabel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm

The first time I went through this book I was already eating a plant-based diet, which is exactly what The China Study promotes for optimal health. Eating only plant foods made sense to me at the time and Dr Campbell did nothing but reassure me that what I was doing was what I thought to be good for me.
However, [b]I believe this assumption made me dismiss the importance of the book overall and only a second and more conscious reading made me realise why this book has been such a huge success compared to other nutrition titles.
China Study.jpg
China Study.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 5513 times

The primary message of The China Study is that animal based protein affects the rate of cancer in any given population as well as having a direct effect on any other health issue.

Dr Campbell claims from his research that scientists were able to turn bad genes on an off simply by adjusting the animal protein intake. The exposure to carcinogens wasn’t the most important thing in the formation of cancer, but it was more how cancer was fed. Basically, the lower the percentage of animal foods consumed, the greater the health benefits.

Dr Campbell also reinforces the statement that we are what we eat: ‘ What we eat becomes part of our body’. He doesn’t fail to mention that other experiences such a physical activity, emotional health and the wellbeing of our environment has an impact upon our health too.

This takes me directly to another subject he expounded on and that is Epigenetics and the fact that our nutrition is the main environmental factor which determines the activity of our genes : ‘Genes do not determine disease on their own. Genes function only by being activated, or expressed, and nutrition plays a critical role in determining which genes, good or bad, are expressed.’ In his research the results obtained showed how genes were heavily influenced by the consumption of protein.

Another very interesting issue that Dr Campbell elaborates on is the relationship between diet and estrogen levels. He thinks that diet plays a major roll in controlling estrogen exposure and he recommends that we eat food that keeps those levels balanced. His suggestion is that of a diet low in animal based protein, low in fat and high in whole plant foods ( this makes me think of the 80/10/10 diet recommended by Dr. Douglas N Graham, an advocate of raw veganism. )

Hormones are a complex and extensive subject. Many views are shared over this and quite often it is easy to come across very different and contradictory opinions from experts .

Dr Campbell explains that environmental chemicals have been shown to disrupt hormones and that 90-95% of our exposure to these chemicals comes from animal products. There is no mention of xenoestrogens over health through diet on the China Study. Another important matter to consider if you are eating 100% or mostly plant based is that these ‘foreign estrogens’ can be artificially created ( synthetic, ie. plastic, chemicals, pesticides etc) or natural ( those in plants , also called phytoestrogens) both of which have the ability to imitate body estrogen and alter hormones levels too. We find that the highest phytoestrogen plant-based foods are flax seeds and soya. Different studies have shown how health conditions like cancer, polycystic kidneys, fibrocystic breast or ovaries may benefit from restricting the intake of these foods as well as the exposure to artificial estrogens.

I find the The China Study to be written in such a clear and simple way that anyone can read and comprehend it. The book can come across a little too scientific and somewhat heavy at times but please do not let that put you off as the book is actually packed with extremely interesting information. I am not touching upon many points mentioned in the book that are worth looking into ( ie.: plant based food vs animal protein food levels, animal protein vs bone calcium loss, nutrients in both plant and animal foods etc)

This book has had its share of criticism from those who do not agree with Dr Campbell and argue that his research results were biased. Whether you feel all the claims that Dr Campbell made in his book as justified, I believe this book is an essential read for anyone suffering from any kind of ailment. I feel that getting as much information as possible about subjects related to your own health it is the only thing that can make us take control over our own lives.

green juice.jpg
green juice.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 5513 times

Personally, after a few years eating plant food only I still love it. My body seems to get more energy from greens than it does from any other food. I seem to thrive on a plant based food, especially in its raw state.

Isabel
http://fb.me/theverdantproject
THE VERDANT PROJECT
Green Living Food & a LifeStyle of Health,
Natural Healing, Beauty & Sustainability.
Isabel

Professor Colin Campbell - The China Study

Postby Marlenewatsontara » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

A fantastic video, one of many from my friend Colin Campbell of The China Study. Please watch this short video explaining how cancer can be switched on and off by what we eat.

colin campbell.jpg
colin campbell.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

On a happier note, Colin and his wife Karen said I make the best truffles they have ever tasted.... love it....

Here is the link to watch the video;
https://www.causes.com/posts/920928

In good health
Marlene
http://www.marlenewatsontara.com
Marlenewatsontara

Return to Library