new prostate cancer detector

Research emerges all the time and is updated regularly.

new prostate cancer detector

Postby Teleny » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 pm

When prostate cancer is suspected due to results of a PSA blood test or digital rectal exam, a physician often performs a prostate biopsy which typically involves sticking a needle into 12 different areas of the prostate. Despite this multi-pronged and frequently painful assault, however, tumours can still be missed.
A new non-invasive MRI/ultrasound imaging system called UroNav® can now create a detailed, three-dimensional view of the prostate.

“Compared with traditional biopsy techniques that randomly sample the prostate, the new technology helps prevent physicians from missing hard-to-find and often aggressive prostate cancers,”says Loyola University Medical Center prostate cancer surgeon Dr. Gopal Gupta. “This will help provide greater certainty regarding the extent and aggressiveness of the disease. And it could enable patients to avoid multiple and unnecessary repeat prostate biopsies."

As ever, it's often only in sales pitches for new techniques where the shortcomings of the standard cancer procedures are acknowledged.

Prostate-Promotion-Diagram.jpg
Prostate-Promotion-Diagram.jpg (159.9 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
Teleny

Re: new prostate cancer detector

Postby timagenes » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

I wonder if it is right to regard biopsy and MRI scan as alternatives to each other. I was recently diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and had both an MRI scan and a biopsy at a major London hospital. While not a medical expert, I understood that they had different purposes. The MRI scan helped to establish the presence and extent of the cancer. The biopsy - admittedly with 4 samples only, not 12 - was virtually painless, despite the stories I had heard, and adds to the evidence the doctors have to determine my treatment and may enable them to target present and future treatments at my particular cancer cells. It is early days yet, and I may have been lucky to have immediate access to the staff and equipment of a famous London NHS hospital. But surely the more evidence from different sources there is, the better, and prostate cancer badly needs more knowledge as well as awareness - it is set to become the worst cancer scourge.

knowledge1.jpg
knowledge1.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
timagenes

Return to Research