Chemo can cause cancer

Research emerges all the time and is updated regularly.

Chemo can cause cancer

Postby Teleny » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Chemotherapy can trigger tumour growth in healthy cells, according to a team of high-powered US oncologists, thus overturning the whole rationale for the toxic treatment.

For decades, cancer victims have endured the rigours of chemotherapy, having been assured that it works by killing off fast-growing cells (e.g. tumours, hair follicles) quicker than normally-growing healthy cells. It’s now been discovered that this may be incorrect, because chemotherapy can cause the body to produce a protein called WNT16B which is known to stimulate cancer growth, according to a bombshell paper published in Nature Medicine.

In a study of prostate cancer patients, the researchers found that men who had increased WNT16B levels after chemotherapy had a much higher risk of cancer recurrence. The same chilling results were also found in laboratory tests of breast and ovarian cancers.

'The increase in WNT16B was completely unexpected," says Professor Peter Nelson of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. “WNT16B, when secreted, could interact with nearby tumour cells and cause them to grow, invade, and importantly, resist subsequent therapy.”

This shocking finding explains why chemotherapy so often fails, despite apparent early success. That’s long been a puzzle for oncologists, who are frequently dismayed to find that, although tumours respond well initially, they rapidly regrow between treatments and ultimately become resistant to further chemotherapy. In theory therefore, for chemo to work, cancer patients require constant infusion….but of course, they would end up being killed by the therapy before being killed by the cancer.

Here’s a key extract from the study:
“Optimizing radiotherapy and chemotherapy for the treatment of malignant neoplasms has relied on the iterative development and testing of models involving tumor growth dynamics, mutation rates and cell-kill kinetics. However, the most theoretically effective tumoricidal strategies must usually be tempered because of detrimental effects to the host. This reality has led to the development of regimens in which therapies are administered at intervals or cycles to avoid irreparable damage to vital host functions. However, the recovery and repopulation of tumor cells between treatment cycles is a major cause of treatment failure. Interestingly, rates of tumor cell repopulation have been shown to accelerate in the intervals between successive courses of treatment, and solid tumors commonly show initial responses followed by rapid regrowth and subsequent resistance to further chemotherapy. Our results indicate that damage responses in benign cells comprising the tumor microenvironment may directly contribute to enhanced tumor growth kinetics”
Reference:
Treatment-induced damage to the tumor microenvironment promotes prostate cancer therapy resistance through WNT16B Nat Med. Sep 2012; 18(9): 1359–1368.

Also ps posted by Judith in Feb 2015: an oncology nurse who quit her job because she could not stand what happened to cancer patients becoming 'nutritionally devastated' : you may not agree with all of it but it is worth a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddADeIsXrOw
devastation.jpg
devastation.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 4169 times

And another link definitely worth catching up with re chemo and toxicity...http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/truth-ab ... g.comments

Here too are some questions worth asking your oncologist if you are considering going down chemo way...Questions to Ask Your Oncologist About Chemotherapy Treatment

questions.jpg
questions.jpg (5.49 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

If you’re considering chemotherapy, here are 12 very important questions to ask your oncologist BEFORE you schedule any chemo treatments. 

The purpose of this list is to empower you to take charge of your cancer. No one is more interested in saving your life than you are, and this list will help you in making smart clinical decisions.

What is the goal of the chemo for my cancer? Is this a cure?
Doctors rarely use the word “cure.” Instead they say things like “remission” or discuss 5 and 10-year survival rates. Be clear on the expectations of a treatment plan.
What are the chances that the chemotherapy treatment will work for me, for my cancer? Again, know what goal you are looking to reach: a cure, tumor reduction, or removal of symptoms. Ask: “After the chemo will I be cured, in remission, or do you anticipate I will need further treatment?”
What chemo-sensitivity testing will you do to determine which chemotherapy agent to use?
Despite the protestations of most oncologists, there is no one right treatment for any cancer. All the while, patients are given drugs that do not have the capacity to work for that particular person, often leading to failure and unnecessary suffering. 

Medical oncologists are increasingly encouraged to adhere to the standards defined by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines, regardless if the treatments even work or will work for the individual seeking treatment.These guidelines offer recommendations for treatments by diagnosis, based on the response for the “average” patient. But cancer patients are anything but average, and there are no average outcomes. Each cancer patient and each cancer has its own unique characteristics. Sensitivity testing takes some of the guesswork out of the equation by using specialized lab tests to predict how well a particular chemotherapy will work.
What is your opinion on taking supplements during treatment?
While most supplements are completely safe to take during treatment and can actually boost the efficacy of treatment, many allopathic (conventional) doctors have not been trained in this subject.
What are my other options if I decline treatment? You are asking this to uncover the doctor’s knowledge of available alternative therapies.
What lifestyle changes will I need to make to improve the outcome of the treatment and protect my body during treatments?
How will you nourish and protect my healthy cells while you’re killing my cancer cells?
Also ask how they recommend you detox from the chemotherapy treatment afterwards.

What will your proposed chemotherapy treatment do to my cancer stem cells?
How will you support my immune system during treatment?
What will you do if I become resistant to chemo treatment?
How will this treatment change the cancer environment?
Ask if it will only kill the cancer that is there and leave you vulnerable to more cancer? Oncologists don’t always share that once the immune system is depressed, the cancer stem cells can go on to create more cancer.
Would you give this same chemotherapy treatment to your spouse or children, and if not, what would you give them? Would you take it yourself?
http://cancerremedies.net/what-your-onc ... radiation/
Teleny

Return to Research