Iyengar Yoga programe in a cancer centre

Research emerges all the time and is updated regularly.

Iyengar Yoga programe in a cancer centre

Postby yogamparo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

As an Iyengar yoga teacher, I am particularly interested in the benefits that the practice of yoga have in my students. I do try to help people with a different range of medical problems from common lower back pain, insomnia, stress and sometimes cancer.

I want to share with those interested here a few lines from one of the articles about cancer in Yoga Rahasya pertaining to Yoga Therapy published in India.
HomeGuru.jpg
HomeGuru.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

"It is well known that many individuals all over the world practice Iyengar yoga to gain relief from diseases often when other systems of "therapy" fail.
Anecdotal evidence on benefits abound but there have been few "scientific" studies performed to corroborate the individual experiences.

One can debate the value of these scientific evidences over the personal experiences; the fact is that millions are practising it, and finally,choose a subject as old as yoga - does it really need "evidence" using modern assessing techniques?

However, these objective studies where the efficacy of yoga is being assessed by independent scientists do have immense value among the scientific and medical fraternity as it helps to substantiate and make it ethically possible for them to refer patients to Iyengar yoga.

Most people that take part in medical studies, described their cancer experience as frightening and life changing. Although they are grateful for the medical attention they received, many found the experience to be disempowering, marked by a loss of control in their lives and some, frustration, as they looked for ways to cope with illness and physical limitations caused by treatment.

On the other hand, volunteers involved in Iyengar Yoga studies attributed physical benefits to their yoga practice,including improved strength, relief from tension in areas damaged by treatment, and a sensation of physical and mental invigoration after class, despite feeling fatigued. They also listed relaxation as a positive effect, which allow them to focus and reduce their anxiety."

reduction of anxiety.jpg
reduction of anxiety.jpg (5.5 KiB) Viewed 4025 times

For more information on the subject, do get in contact with me:
Amparo amparo@yogamparo.co.uk
yogamparo

Return to Research