Dreams and dreaming....

This includes meditation practices as well as music, song, dance, poetry and laughter as medicine.

Dreams and dreaming....

Postby Judith » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:27 am

Dreaming…

It was Jung who said to a man who reported no dreams when he came to Jung for therapy ‘well you’ll have them now’—and he did.

I’ve written mine down for many years, in little notebooks, and each time there has been a health crisis in my life (the last two being a ‘benign’ brain tumour in 2001 and then a cancer diagnosis in 2012)- I have had dreams which presaged the situation—pre-sage—wisdom beforehand…it’s really worth starting to turn into/tune into your subconscious mind and seeing what comes up, (and of course dreams are one of the foundational elements in any psychotherapy or psychoanalysis). Forget looking up the meanings of symbols, they will be personal to you, and if you ponder on them, the meaning will emerge. This is invaluable inner knowledge. Try it anyway, and relax into it. There’s a huge amount of vitality and creativity lying latent inside your mind, and this is a way to tap into it.
Dreams roam free.gif
Dreams roam free.gif (979.72 KiB) Viewed 14819 times

Asking yourself (as Jung asked his patient) to remember your dreams is a way of throwing a stone into your subconscious mind , and it enriches your normal everyday consciousness. You can explore and begin to understand the nature of your own dreaming self. Dreams go on all the time- but like the stars, we only see them at night.

These inner journeys can help you find greater beauty, significance and meaning in the life you lead every day. Really! It’s such a valuable resource you have inside your mind.

Here are some suggestions from one person who helps others in the USA remember their dreams. But you can do it for yourself too. Oh and ps Einstein dreamed his theory of relativity E = mc squared….
http://lifeturnings.com/wordpress/dream ... reinhardt/

Well this might help you too—but I’d like to focus on the healing power of dreams rather than being cast down by what they may portend…it’s easy then to be filled with fear and dread rather than the quest for meaning and understanding. Often for instance when you are ill you may dream you’re someone else with an entirely healthy body. Often such a dream is therapeutic…

.http://dreamstudies.org/2009/08/06/drea ... f-illness/
Judith
Site Admin

Re: Dreams and dreaming....

Postby Judith » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Could be in the poetry section-BUT it is a dream—so it is going under dreaming—the dear friend who sent it to me said she has read it many times….

Last Night, As I was Sleeping
Antonio Machado

Last night as I was sleeping,
I dreamt-marvellous error-
that a spring was breaking
out in my heart
I said; Along which secret aqueduct,
Oh water, are you coming to me,
water of a new life that I have never drunk?
water flowing.jpg
water flowing.jpg (58.59 KiB) Viewed 14804 times

Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt - marvellous error-
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures.
golden bee.jpg
golden bee.jpg (24.28 KiB) Viewed 14804 times

Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt - marvellous error-
that a fiery sun was giving
light inside my heart.
It was fiery because I felt
warmth as from a hearth,
and sun because it gave light
and brought tears to my eyes.
light of the fiery sun.jpg
light of the fiery sun.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 14804 times

Last night, as I slept,
I dreamt-marvellous error-
that is was God I had
here inside my heart.
Judith
Site Admin

Re: Dreams and dreaming....they come and go...

Postby Judith » Tue May 26, 2015 1:32 pm

I am just posting this today because it illustrates something also talked about on the Let it Be forum about depression- do have a look there if you're feeling low.

Dreams can offer you a view of our up and down minds, and letting them surface without judging them is helpful, enriching and ultimately good for our emotional well-being, particularly after cancer diagnosis... it applies to all of the rest of the world too of course...

So the night before last I was aware of having had 'good' dreams, and woke to a dream fading away in the dawn light of brilliant yellow iris flags flowering by the sea...(they do this in Scotland, where I once culled a root which still flowers on my London roof terrace each year..)

yellow iris.jpg
yellow iris.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 14405 times

Yesterday was a serene day- but for some reason I slept little, and had again a dream almost as dawn broke, but this time it was of stumbling and nearly falling in some sort of large building, maybe a cathedral, of someone putting out a hand to help me, and of my impulse to go and grab tight hold of a pillar, almost spread-eagled around it to feel safe..

pillars.jpg
pillars.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 14405 times

Two very different states of mind....one of serenity, one of panic...they come and go....
Judith
Site Admin

Re: Dreams and dreaming....when the storm is over....

Postby Judith » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 pm

When I first was diagnosed with cancer at the beginning of January 2012 I dreamed of driving in my car into a huge black cloud. I could see nothing. But I could see that further along - how much further along? The cloud turned into thin fog, then who knew what...
stormy weather ahead.jpg
stormy weather ahead.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 14104 times

Yes, a storm was brewing. In January 2016 I can now look back, and I really resonated with something Haruki Murakami said in Kafka on the Shore...

"Once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about"

Now this site exists, four years later, for others who walk into the storm. Take heed of your dreams, and give back when you emerge from the black clouds...
Judith
Site Admin

Return to Mind & Spirit