Gardening as medicine...?

This includes meditation practices as well as music, song, dance, poetry and laughter as medicine.

Gardening as medicine...?

Postby carparkgardener » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't have cancer, but of course I have had relatives who have suffered from it. I have mental health problems, and really wanted to use this post to flag up the ways in which creating a garden, and gardening, have helped me through immense times of distress.

gardening.jpg
gardening.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 7096 times

An article about my garden and I was published last Saturday in The Guardian the link is http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/06/how-does-garden-grow-sue-cuthbert-beccles I hope that you might find it interesting. And that some of you might be interested in sharing your thoughts and experiences on gardening as therapy on this board? Very best wishes, Sue.

ALSO THRIVE IS AN ORGANISATION WHICH IS WORTH LOOKING AT>>> (je) http://www.thrive.org.uk/
Last edited by carparkgardener on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carparkgardener

Re: Gardening as medicine...?

Postby carparkgardener » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to share the url of my gardening website and blog incase you might find it helpful and interesting - http://www.gardeninginacarpark.com/about/ I have used gardening as a kind of therapy in my recovery from mental health problems and believe gardening is an appropriate helpful 'therapy' for many health problems and conditions. Best, Sue.
Attachments
poppy.jpg
Made me smile this morning...
poppy.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
carparkgardener

Re: Gardening as medicine...?

Postby carparkgardener » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi again, i just wanted to share with you the relief and benefits that gardening has given me. I find the rhythm of the changing of the seasons reassuring, I might be mad but I delight in each change - when new growth heralds spring, when summer's abundance is upon us, when autumn chills hit the air and plants start to die back to hibernate and wait for spring, and the bitter winter months when it feels as though spring will never come round again. This cycle which will go on and on for as long as the earth turns makes me feel at peace and as though I am beginning to know my place in the world - I am an incredibly tiny yet incredibly significant participant in this extraordinary world, and gardening helps me realise, understand and come to terms with that. Gardening it seems to me is about life on all it's levels. So that's why I'm always proud to say "I'm in the garden!'
Attachments
garden2001 copy.jpg
garden2001 copy.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
carparkgardener

Return to Mind & Spirit