The Poetics of Patience

This includes meditation practices as well as music, song, dance, poetry and laughter as medicine.

The Poetics of Patience

Postby Judith » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm

patience.jpg
patience.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
The Poetics of Patience

I’m giving and hosting a poetry lecture series starting this week (Nov 2013) and one of my contributors, himself a published poet, is talking about the work of the US poet Kay Ryan. He sent me this poem, and I thought it might speak to us all, about being patient as we work towards changing ourselves from the inside out, via diet as well as via other aspects which need changing, which may be touched on over time on this site. Some may be already be covered in the various listed topics to date . Please feel free to contribute yourself, as this resource will build by the contributions of its membership. As Kay Ryan says ‘who would have guessed it possible that waiting is sustainable, a place with its own harvests…’

Patience

Patience is
wider than one
once envisioned,
with ribbons
of rivers
and distant
ranges and
tasks undertaken
and finished
with modest
relish by
natives in their
native dress.
Who would
have guessed
it possible
that waiting
is sustainable—
a place with
its own harvests.
Or that in
time's fullness
the diamonds
of patience
couldn't be
distinguished
from the genuine
in brilliance
or hardness.

More poems by Kay Ryan can be found here: http://www.persimmontree.org/v2/summer- ... een-poems/
Judith
Site Admin

Return to Mind & Spirit