Poor man's Caviare

Tasty nutritious recipes following the cansurviving principles.

Poor man's Caviare

Postby drew43 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Poor man's Caviar

Bottarga has all of the fantastic nutrients of fish: it is, in essence, a superfood packed with zinc, omega-3, protein, calcium, vitamins A and D. Also, Bottarga has recently been hailed as a true cancer fighter.

bottarga.jpg
bottarga.jpg (4.69 KiB) Viewed 6786 times

Often called the poor man's caviar, bottarga (or botargo) is the Italian word for a dense cured fish roe made from tuna, gray mullet or swordfish. Popular in Sicily and Sardinia, Bottarga can also be found throughout the Mediterranean, under the name of poutargue or boutargue in France or botarga in Spain. In Greece, avgotaraho is slightly smoked and made in summer to be preserved for Lent.

The mullet is considered the best. The egg sacks are removed with the utmost care to avoid piercing; they are then salted and pressed in to a characteristic oblong shapes before drying. The finished product is amber to dark brown in colour and firm and waxy in texture. Bottarga has quite a salty taste that can be compared to dried anchovies, but with a silkier texture. It keeps well stored in the refrigerator. It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way and why not treat yourself as winter is nearly upon us. You can also buy it grated in small jars which also needs to be kept in the fridge when opened. The ungrated version is much richer though I have quite happily used the grated variety (it is cheaper)and it is still very tasty.

Recipe suggestion:
I suggest you melt about a teaspoon full in some warm olive oil or butter with added crushed garlic pour this over al dente linguine (gluten free if needed) and sprinkle with parsley and a little pepperoncino- (dried chilis). It gives a delicious flavour to the pasta.

bottarga pasta.jpg
bottarga pasta.jpg (9.14 KiB) Viewed 6786 times

Also try it with broccoli
. Blend a good teaspoon of the stuff with garlic, lemon juice, parsley basil and tomatoes. Add olive oil and pour over steamed purple sprouting broccoli.
Bottarga can be cut into very small wedges, sprinkled with lemon juice and served as an appetiser. It can also be used to flavour many dishes such as scrambled eggs, sea food risotto and salads
drew43

Re: Poor man's Caviare

Postby johnmathew » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 am

Your blog interests me each time I study it. I love reading blogs but they don't often excite me- . But in your blog I locate some thing significant... Anyway, you�re certainly a terrific blogger and you have a skill to make your reader to keep reading your blog over and over
skills.jpg
skills.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
Keep up the impressive word pictures. Continue moving the people! This is one of the most thrilling of your posts...
johnmathew

Return to Recipes