Recipes

Tasty nutritious recipes following the cansurviving principles.

Recipes

Postby Jane » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:41 am

​​
Grow and Pick Pesto.

In your garden and the hedgerows, in the parks and roadsides, pick your pesto, wild and raw.

Gather edible leaves eg..spinach, chard, parsley, basil, rocket, dandelion, jack by the hedge, ground elder, fennel, chickweed and any combination of these to a food processor, along with a clove of garlic, a handful of olives, 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of ground almonds, or cashews and grind. Use to drizzle over pasta, rice, salad, potatoes etc.

Chickweed
You can make chickweed pesto too, as well as eating it in salads.
Chickweed is loaded with nutrition, being high in chlorophyll, minerals -- especially calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, iron, phosphorus, and potassium, vitamins -- especially C, A (from carotenes), and B factors such as folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, and thiamine. Chickweed is a star, because her botanical name -- Stellaria media -- means little stars. And because she really stars at helping us when we need to gently dissolve something or to cool off inflamed tissues. Chickweed not only effects physical health, she is a psychic healer too. She opens us up to cosmic energies and gives us the inner strength we need to handle those energies. Chickweed's ability to break cells open helps it get rid of bacterial infections when applied as a poultice. It is every mother's favorite for dealing with children's eye infections (pink eye).

Chickweed contains soapy substances, called saponins. Saponins, like soap, emulsify and increase the permeability of cellular membranes. When we consume chickweed those saponins increase our ability to absorb nutrients, especially minerals. They also dissolve and break down unwanted matter, including disease-causing bacteria, cysts, benign tumors, thickened mucus in the respiratory and digestive systems, and excess fat cells. There's lots more information on the little star lady chickweed in Susun Weed's book Healing Wise. It's green, like chickweed, like the blessings the Earth offers us so freely. So, grab your scissors, and go harvest some chickweed for dinner tonight. You'll make a new friend who can really help when times are tough. Find an entire chapter on Chickweed in Susun Weed's green herbal Healing Wise, available at: http://www.herbalmedicinehealing.com ( The above information on chickweed was written by Susun Weed.)
chickweed1.jpg
chickweed1.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 4494 times

​Buckwheat Pancakes

5 ounces of the flour. Teaspoon of turmeric, pinch sea salt, tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle of cumin seeds, add water until its a thick batter. Let it stand for about 10 minutes then fry in coconut oil. Sprinkle with mixed seeds as you cook it then flip over to cook the seeded side. Yum....serve with spouted seeds and salad or as a sweet with lemon or lime and honey.

A treat when you need some sweetness in your life without sugar.

Raw cacao truffle.... organic dates . organic cashews, and almonds. You can use any nuts really, pecans are good. (almonds are the most alkaline so use your own discretion) I'm not good on measurements cos I tend to just throw things in ,but if you have approximately equal amounts of fruit and nuts. You can also use figs or goji berries or a mixture of fruit. Even a few raisins or sultanas. Anyway then you need some raw cacao and cacao butter if you want to do it properly about 2 ounces of each and about half an ounce of coconut oil, a little vanilla powder or essence, a pinch of sea salt and some organic honey about a tablespoon but if not sweet enough just add more.( honey to taste and not necessary as dates are sweet)

Melt the cacao and cacao butter and coconut oil in a bowl over boiling water. Grind up the fruit and nuts in a food processer then mix it all together. You can either make into balls like truffles or press into a dish and chill. The cacao etc we get from Indigo herbs of Glastonbury( I'll put their website in links.) It's expensive and if you don't want to go the whole hog you could substitute some green and blacks cooking chocolate, but I've not tried that. I think they have it in the baking section at co op. Oh and some grated zest of orange or grated fresh ginger or both. When you've done it you can just make up different variations as you get more confident with it and see what suits you best. Have fun.

( Dont eat before bed or you might not sleep too well)

Raw Chocolate Cake.
All ingredients are approximate weights.
I packet of dried apricots.
2 tablespoons of goji berries.
4 tablespoons of cacao powder.
1oz coconut oil.
2oz cacao paste
2oz cacao butter
3 tablespoons agave nectar or honey.
1 tablespoon macca powder.
1 tablespoon mesquite powder.
pinch vanilla powder or drop of essence.
4 tablespoons ground almonds.
1 dessert spoon of hemp powder.
1 dessert spoon shelled hemp seeds
1 tabespoon mixed seeds.(sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, linseed)
Fo Ti....1 teaspoon.(optional)
Melt cacao butter and paste with agave nectar and coconut oil gently,(bowl over a pan of boiling water) Don't boil.
Put all other ingredients into mixer. Add melted mixture and blend all together.
Press into dish or tin and refrigerate

Raw Savoury Flan
You need a grinder/mixer for this recipe. Throw into the grinder a couple of handsfull of nuts. I tend to use cashews and almonds, maybe a few brazils and pecans....use your favourites.
9294321-nuts-of-almonds-and-cashew-on-a-wooden-background.jpg
9294321-nuts-of-almonds-and-cashew-on-a-wooden-background.jpg (125.14 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Add a couple of tablespoons of mixed seeds...sunflower, pumpkin, linseed, sesame and maybe poppy seed. Add about 2 ounces of coconut oil.
I use Biona organic, virgin raw coconut oil,also tree harvest do a good one. and I swear by this for it's positive health benefits. When heated this oil doesn't oxidize like other oils. When other oils oxidize at high temperatures they become poisonous to us...something to do with the process releasing free radicals. I promise to be more precise about this another day...but back to this dish.
Grind these ingredients together and add a few herbs of your choice...thyme rosemary or sage are nice in this base and maybe a clove of garlic. I'm quite an experimental cook, and my recipes change a little each time I do them according to mood etc.... experiment away...it's fun. Ok now you can press this into a flan type dish to make a base and chill........Now for the topping. You'll need a couple of avocadoes. Unfortunately I can't grow avoes or coconuts here so this recipe is a bit extravagant on air miles, but if anyone can come up with some healthy tasty alternatives to these, or ways of growing them here, that would be great.
So using the mixer once again, whizz up the avoes with some green leaves of your choice. I suggest trying chickweed and maybe some ground elder and in Spring or early summer Ramsoms, (wild garlic) is growing and its delicious. A little salt to taste ( Maldon Sea salt or pink Himalayan) Spread this on the base and add some chopped tomatoes and olives to the top and a sprinkling of torn basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon or lime. A little chopped fresh chilli could also be added to the topping for added zest, and instead of basil use fresh coriander.. Try with some home made crunchy sour dough spelt bread and a few sprouted seeds. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Raw Chocolate Delights
3 ripe avocados.
2 oz Raw Cacao powder.
1 oz runny honey
zest of an orange.
tiny pinch sea salt
Blend until smooth.

Base.
About 2 ounces of
Mixed nuts (e.g Pecan, hazel, almond, cashew)
and same amount of
Mixed seeds (e.g sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, linseed)
one ounce of organic virgin coconut oil.
Grind together. If not soft enough to press into a dish then add more coconut oil.
Chill.
Add topping.
Chill again then top with any berries and edible flowers such as borrage, calendula (marigold), nasturtium, elderflower depending on the season.
Drizzle with more raw organic honey to make it glisten and even more delicious tasting.

Raw Chocolate cheesecake style dessert.
Pecan Turtles.

. In this recipe the only sweeteners you'll find are naturally sweet dates and clear, raw unprocessed agave, or honey. A layer of fresh date and lucuma caramel and crunchy raw pecans are coated thinly in a rich dark cacao dipping chocolate. You can either completely submerge your turtles in the chocolate dipping sauce or just add a dolup to the top for a stacked effect. These raw chocolate pecan turtles are sure to impress!
Recipe by

Megan McMurray

Ingredients

Caramel Layer:
1 lb of fresh dates
2 tablespoons of lucuma
1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
Dark Dipping Chocolate:
1 Cup cacao butter
1 Cup cacao powder
2 Tablespoons lucuma
pinch vanilla bean
1/2 cup clear agave or sweetener of choice.
*Optional- superfood powders 1 Tablespoon collectively.
You will also need:
Whole pecan halves (4 for each turtle)

Methods/steps

Caramel Layer:
1) First make date paste by pitting 1 pound of dates.
2) Put in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of lucuma and 1 teaspoon of vanilla powder and make into a paste.
*If you use store bought dates and they are dry and tough, soak in spring water for 30 minutes before putting them in the food processor.
Assembly:
1) Measure out 10 gram pieces of date paste. Roll into a ball. *It is helpful to keep a small bowl of warm water near you when working with dates. If you keep your hands wet the dates won’t stick to your hands.
2) Flatten out the ball into a flat round circle.
3) Press 4 unbroken pecans to the underside of the caramel round. You want the round side of the pecan to show out from the edge of the caramel. (You could also use cashews)
4) Set in the fridge for an hour or so before covering in chocolate.
5) Make a batch of dipping chocolate or white chocolate. (recipe below)
*You have two options when finishing your turtles.
A. With a teaspoon, carefully spoon chocolate on to the turtle, leaving some of the caramel showing.
B. With a dipping fork, dip the entire turtle in chocolate.
6) Set chocolate covered turtle on a parchment papered plate, making sure there is no chocolate collecting at the bottom (if you chose option B.)
7) Set in the fridge….and enjoy!
*Store in an airtight container lined with parchment paper.
Dark Dipping Chocolate:
1) Using a low heat source, melt the cacao butter, preferably in a glass bowl. At the same time, place your sweetener in a dish and heat that up as well. I prefer to use my dehydrator for this.
2) Sift all powders in the melted cacao butter (This includes any superfood powders you may want to add.) and whisk together.
3) Place cacao butter/powder mixture back into the dehydrator for 5-10 minutes.
4) Take heated cacao mixture and add the heated sweetener. Whisk vigorously.
5) After the mixture is thoroughly combined, you have a chocolate that is ready to use for dipping or drizzling
Raw Lemon Cheesecake (without cheese)

For the base.......
1 Cup Cashews
2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
2 Teaspoons Vanilla extract or the seeds of one vanilla bean
1/4 Teaspoon Himalayan Salt
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
Process the cashews into flour. Add remaining ingredients and process again. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan and chill to set.

For the topping...
3 Cups Cashews soaked for 1-2 hours
1 Cup Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Vanilla powder
1/2 Teaspoon Himalayan Salt
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1 1/2 Cups Lime Juice
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour on top of base. Place in the freezer to set. Once set it can be stored in the refrigerator.
Attachments
hedgerow herbs.jpg
hedgerow herbs.jpg (527.57 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Jane

Re: Recipes

Postby Rosa_M » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 am

Amazing sounding recipes Jane.

the heart of raw....jpg
the heart of raw....jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

The Guardian posted their top ten raw recipes for a few more ideas

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... aw-recipes

What's the best seasonal veg to be using at the moment?
Rosa_M

Re: Recipes

Postby Rosa_M » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:13 am

This looks like a delicious recipe, not just for Christmas:

http://fresh-network.typepad.com/fresh_ ... .html#more
Rosa_M

Return to Recipes