Teff Anyone heard of it?

Tasty nutritious recipes following the cansurviving principles.

Teff Anyone heard of it?

Postby chica » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:43 am

chica

Re: Teff Anyone heard of it?

Postby Gabriella Klein » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Teff, I just love it, especially the flavour, but of course also knowing it's fabulous nutritional values.

Making the Ethiopian Indjera is a somewhat lengthy process, requiring certain skills I do not have. But it is so easy to use Teff in the morning to make pancakes that provide a complete protein and as much calcium as sesame seeds (ground into Tahini), as well as vitamin C!!!

teff pancakes.jpg
teff pancakes.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 4572 times

Instructions for pancakes: so simple.

I mix Teff with rice flour or Buckwheat flour 50/50, about three tablespoons in total, add salt (Himalayan preferably), oregano or marjoram (Zaatar in my country), some oil (not olive oil as it oxidises at high temperatures) diluted with water to make a thin consistency. I heat a frying pan (Ceramic non-stick or iron skillet), pour in some of the mixture to cover the base, and let it cook for a couple of minutes before turning it over to cook for a few more minutes. That's it! I wrap it around two or three kinds of sprouts, with slices of cucumber and some olive oil drizzled over it. Goodness me - what a start to the day! I used to love porridge, but this beats it hands down.

Teff can also be used in all kinds of baking - it combines very well with dates, and it can also be made simply into a kind of porridge, savoury or sweet.
Enjoy!
Gabriella Klein

Return to Recipes