Being a Quaker

This includes meditation practices as well as music, song, dance, poetry and laughter as medicine.

Being a Quaker

Postby Dalechiswick » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Attending a Quaker Meeting for Worship is a very different experience from meditating on your own. You are in 'a gathered silence', surrounded by others and it is both individual and inclusive and often very profound.

If I've come into the room a bit late after the Meeting has started I've had the impression of entering a pool.

blue silent pool.jpg
blue silent pool.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 17093 times

The Quakers were founded in the 17th century by a man called George Fox and they are known as The Society of Friends, and indeed the Friends are very friendly and welcome anyone to their Meetings.

You can find out more on the Quaker website. http://www.quaker.org.uk
Dalechiswick

Re: Being a Quaker

Postby annee » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:20 am

Being diagnosed chivvied me into going along to a local Quaker Meeting four years ago - something I had been thinking of doing for a long time but really never had the nerve. I became a Member last year. The thought of holding myself (and others) in the light is something I do regularly - I find it very powerful and peaceful at the same time - giving myself up to the light is liberating when I am afraid. The silence of the Meeting is very important to me.
The Quaker testimonies of truth, peace, simplicity and love are central to how I live my life and important to my well-being
sweet simplicity.jpg
sweet simplicity.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 17044 times

- I am learning to listen more to others, slow down and discern the deeper meaning of things and of course the still quiet voice inside myself - something that does not come naturally!
annee

Postby Judith » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... ce-podcast

More to ponder on, in the silence which is 'an oasis of calm'....
oasis of calm.....jpg
oasis of calm.....jpg (3.85 KiB) Viewed 15811 times
Judith
Site Admin

Postby radhikashetty » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:30 am

Great Post :)
radhikashetty

Return to Mind & Spirit