A new way of eating: a challenge or a pain?

Tasty nutritious recipes following the cansurviving principles.

Postby Judith » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:02 pm

vegan plateful.jpg
vegan plateful.jpg (16.46 KiB) Viewed 14592 times

This all takes some adjusting to but you can go easy on yourself, do it gradually, and you’ll get there. What you’re aiming for is to get your Ph levels to be at 7 or higher (you can get Ph strips (online) to measure urine and saliva but don’t get too obsessive about it!)—any lower than 7 and you’re getting acid and cancer thrives in acid conditions.

SO-you need to avoid meat, dairy products, coffee and tea because of caffeine, alcohol, soy (the jury is out on that one but I avoid it anyway), most fruit because even fruit has sugars and cancer also feeds on sugar in the body. (Exceptions are the ‘fruits’ avocadoes and tomatoes, plus the occasional sour grapefruit). And drink lots of water to flush out toxins-and not just any old water (more about that in a separate post). And get as much organic foods as you can, and/or locally produced vegetables. Aim for 70 to 80% raw—you may not get there but aim high and fail a little if need be.

Oooh no alcohol? Well Muslims don’t drink and have a good time anyway, I know several people who are fun to be with who don’t drink either because of allergies, headaches or they plain just don’t like the taste. Fizzy water with a slice of lemon in it (alkalising, how counter-intuitive is that) can help you feel like you’re joining in (and have it in a wine glass!) Coffee and tea may be hard to go cold turkey on, but there are lots of herbal teas, some of which like cleavers are good also for lymphatic drainage, and after a while you won’t miss it—the smell is still free and of course you could also do coffee enemas as Gerson recommends –not sure if they still do this—but my guess is it may not be the same.

There are loads of recipes online and here are a few useful creative links.
http://thehealthyeatingsite.com
http://wakeupgethealthy.wordpress.com/2 ... ng-cancer/
http://www.energiseforlife.com

and here are some winter salad recipes too - again you can get creatively involved and invent your own...http://happygut.ca/vegan-winter-salads/

susan@rawmazing.com- has good recipes if you get into dehydrating which is time consuming but looks exciting-I have the machine but haven’t got round to doing much yet. Her recipes look good but she includes fruit so if you are on the alkaline diet you have to factor that in…

Also Jane a wonderful cook I know who follows this way of eating will be posting some of her own creative suggestions and recipes here—it can be fun to learn new stuff, to become unstuck from the old ways of doing things.

So here are some of my default suggestions 18 months on…(still following this over 3 years on--lunch I especially look forward to--different every day!)

BREAKFAST: I have an added wrinkle to deal with here in that I am gluten intolerant…Anyway: buckwheat (no relation to ordinary wheat) or quinoa flakes, more occasionally oats which are slightly acid, some desiccated coconut, bean sprouts (easy and grow your own without complicated paraphernalia, almond milk (look out for sugar additives in some brands) and maybe some small pieces of chopped tomato or cucumber or whatever you fancy, plus some sunflower seeds or other seeds, hulled hemp seeds are good & full of protein. Oh and I just discovered amaranth-another alkaline grain and you can get delicious amaranth crackers too. OR you can have a green smoothie for breakfast & put plenty of green leaves in in with maybe an avocado or the occasional banana... All this tastes really good.

LUNCH:

Two ways I go here: one is to fill a largish bowl with quite finely chopped raw vegetables you have in the fridge, plus some olive oil (organic if poss) or flax seed oil (rich in Omega 3)hemp oil or sesame oil-finely chopped garlic if you love it as nuch as I do, more bean sprouts, herbs and spices of your choice. Finely chopped turmeric root adds colour and so many healing properties too...http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/turmeric ... nt-cancer/ Add some finely cut sundried tomatoes for new flavour, and use Himalayan pink salt, best you can eat & we do need some salt- (oh yes and ignore what the sell by date says—how can there be a sell by date when this stuff has been in the mountains for thousands of years???) Mix up, turn out on a plate and go for it.

And here are more suggestions from Colin Campbell's website (see the review of The China Diet in the Library Section)

http://nutritionstudies.org/easy-salad-every-day/

Second route is to mouli all your raw vegetables (I have a KENWOOD SMOOTHIE2GO) into a soup and then if it’s winterish you can gently warm it (test with your finger as you would for a baby) and it’s still raw if you don’t heat it up too much.

AFTERNOON HUNGER PANGS:
Don’t go hungry-a pocket full of almonds is a great standby-and if you’re at home have some tahini on some buckwheat cakes or brown rice cakes or oatcakes- tahini is made of roasted sesame seeds but is still good. There are also raw spreads you can get (at least you can in large Wholefoods stores or go online) , which of course are technically better for you if you are going for raw...

SUPPER: Here I veer towards cooked, and have some buckwheat, brown rice or quinoa,(I often put some garlic and some turmeric in the cooking water) occasional new potato or baked same, plus a variety of steamed vegetables, and again oil on them instead of butter obviously-coconut oil is good & can be added when vegetables are hot and ready to serve. Then you can have some raw salad leaves or some more bean sprouts or whatever-or an avocado guacamole—or…the possibilities are various and your meal ends up a lot more interesting than your standard meat ‘n 2 veg.

If you go out to a meal with friends, check first and then if need be take some almonds, a pack of your own salad mixed up, which you can eat alongside their vegetables and just skip the meat-and the pud of course. Being with friends is more important than getting hung up on ‘the diet’ … and again, the fizzy water with a slice of lemon

slice of lemon.jpg
slice of lemon.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 14329 times

in a great glass helps you get into the mood-well it does for me!

All for now but more anon-I hope others will add their own tips/suggestions/resources to keep this being an exciting journey rather than a boring chore. In the early days I used to moan a bit, then thought ‘I did this for a baby, so now I can do it for me!’.And as my husband pointed out, athletes do it...so stop grumbling eh...

There are so many links between foods you need to boost your mood, feel better about yourself, lower anxiety—these same foods are also anti-cancer.

And I’m finding as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist that more and more that a lot of the anti-cancer measures are also anti-anxiety measures. (Cancer and the stories we tell ourselves is factored in here) We know that celery stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which is that calming part of the nervous system. So you know, a perfect snack is a bit of celery with some nut butter, try it and see...

Celery contains a plant hormone called apigenin. which is powerfully anti-cancer as you'll see if you go a-Googling...

Sweet potato, and pumpkin seeds improve your B6 levels- B-6 improves or stimulates serotonin in the body, which is that feel-good neurotransmitter. Recent studies show that high blood levels of B-6 are powerfully anti-cancer. So you can reduce your risk of cancer returning by up to 49 percent by eating a vitamin B-6 rich diet.

And hang on a moment- broccoli sprouts ( which have sulforaphane in them) and turmeric actually take on cancer stem cells, so keep on sprouting- and I use raw turmeric toot every day in salads....I may even be a bit addicted to it but hey- not a bad addiction... Take care of your stem cells, people!
stem cells.jpg
stem cells.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 12105 times
Judith
Site Admin

Re: Here's a few ways to get alkaline-excellent site this on

Postby Judith » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 pm

http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpres ... y-24-hours /?inf_contact_key=e1fbc0e10e140ae62bc62ee6c96f1531a777815a28a2193b15f6734d66e9df

In this post you get breakfast recipes, news about water and about breathing--just like there's water and then there's water, there's breathing and then there's breathing-- just a few more ways to walk along this path & easy too...

Alkalinity-vs.jpg
Alkalinity-vs.jpg (243.63 KiB) Viewed 14588 times
Judith
Site Admin

Re: All the lowdown you need on world's 7 most alkaline food

Postby Judith » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm

http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpres ... e79cbee5b9

If ever anyone challenges you about the vitamins and minerals you need to keep your body healthy, ('surely this way of eating depletes your vitamin stores?') and you need a quick rundown on the HUGE benefits of spinach, kale, cucumber, broccoli, avocado, celery & red pepper, the link above is all you need--it's staggering what they provide you with--if I could put a rolling eyes smiley on here I would!
cucumber, spinach and kale.jpg
cucumber, spinach and kale.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 14583 times
CHEERS!
Judith
Site Admin

Re: A new way of eating: a challenge or a pain?

Postby Jabari84 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:06 am

What an amazing post on healthy food!! I just loved it. The idea of adding a Green drink in the breakfast is great. I would make this my habit to drink smoothie every day. Hey, could you share some recipes for green smoothies?
Jabari84

Re: Different shades of green

Postby drew43 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 am

shades of green.jpg
shades of green.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 14201 times

Another great way to start the day. Easy and quick but keep off the fruit suggestions in some websites as the fruit generally contains too much sugar - A BIG NO NO (exceptions being bananas and apples but not too sweet and only occasionally) it's very Ph friendy and helps to keeps your body as unwelcoming as possible to any proliferation of cancer cells (which are in all our bodies every day anyway..they just get flushed away)...

As with the past Grayson Perry post also on the Diet Forum re 14 ingredients to make your own tasty food, you can dream up your own daily combinations- who needs recipes anyway?

So for starters, put in the liquidiser the liquids you choose that day: some PhWater, then rice milk or coconut milk or almond milk (watch out on the labels for added sweeteners and AVOID them)- then quite finely chop your daily selection: (just choose a FEW each day so you excite your tastebuds rather than swamp them) there's spinach or kale, parsley, celery, avocado (makes it really thick as does a banana)-cucumber, courgettes even- you could sometimes add a tomato but generally I like to keep this green then a bit of ginger to spice it up, OR a small bit of chili (or both) which makes it zing ...

AND IF YOU COME UP WITH ANY COMBINATIONS YOU LOVE,PLEASE POST THEM HERE ON THE SITE FOR OTHERS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT ON THIS PROJECT..
drew43

Postby Rosa_M » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:22 am

I'm actually having a green juice detox today. Here's my recipe:

Pre bike to work/gym:
Water, spinach, egg white, chilli, ginger, turmeric, spirulina, 1/2 an apple, 1/4 an avocado & cucumber
biking to work.jpg
biking to work.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 12365 times

Post gym/breakfast:
All of the above, plus oats & yoghurt

Lunch:
Water, kale, 1 whole free range egg, chilli, ginger, turmeric, spirulina, 1/2 an apple, 1/2 an avocado, cucumber

Dinner:
A combination of all of the above, plus anything extra I have left over in the fridge.

Throughout the day I'm drinking lots of lemon water. I'm also off the caffeine! Going okay so far...
Rosa_M

Postby marathiunlimited » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Judith wrote:A new way of eating: a challenge or a pain?

vegan plateful.jpg

This all takes some adjusting to but you can go easy on yourself, do it gradually, and you’ll get there. What you’re aiming for is to get your Ph levels to be at 7 or higher (you can get Ph strips (online) to measure urine and saliva but don’t get too obsessive about it!)—any lower than 7 and you’re getting acid and cancer thrives in acid conditions.

SO-you need to avoid meat, dairy products, coffee and tea because of caffeine, alcohol, soy (the jury is out on that one but I avoid it anyway), most fruit because even fruit has sugars and cancer also feeds on sugar in the body. (Exceptions are the ‘fruits’ avocadoes and tomatoes, plus the occasional sour grapefruit). And drink lots of water to flush out toxins-and not just any old water (more about that in a separate post). And get as much organic foods as you can, and/or locally produced vegetables. Aim for 70 to 80% raw—you may not get there but aim high and fail a little if need be.

Oooh no alcohol? Well Muslims don’t drink and have a good time anyway, I know several people who are fun to be with who don’t drink either because of allergies, headaches or they plain just don’t like the taste. Fizzy water with a slice of lemon in it (alkalising, how counter-intuitive is that) can help you feel like you’re joining in (and have it in a wine glass!) Coffee and tea may be hard to go cold turkey on, but there are lots of herbal teas, some of which like cleavers are good also for lymphatic drainage, and after a while you won’t miss it—the smell is still free and of course you could also do coffee enemas as Gerson recommends –not sure if they still do this—but my guess is it may not be the same.

There are loads of recipes online and here are a few useful creative links.
http://thehealthyeatingsite.com
http://wakeupgethealthy.wordpress.com/2 ... ng-cancer/
http://www.energiseforlife.com

and here are some winter salad recipes too - again you can get creatively involved and invent your own...http://happygut.ca/vegan-winter-salads/

susan@rawmazing.com- has good recipes if you get into dehydrating which is time consuming but looks exciting-I have the machine but haven’t got round to doing much yet. Her recipes look good but she includes fruit so if you are on the alkaline diet you have to factor that in…

Also Jane a wonderful cook I know who follows this way of eating will be posting some of her own creative suggestions and recipes here—it can be fun to learn new stuff, to become unstuck from the old ways of doing things.

So here are some of my default suggestions 18 months on…(still following this over 3 years on--lunch I especially look forward to--different every day!)

BREAKFAST: I have an added wrinkle to deal with here in that I am gluten intolerant…Anyway: buckwheat (no relation to ordinary wheat) or quinoa flakes, more occasionally oats which are slightly acid, some desiccated coconut, bean sprouts (easy and grow your own without complicated paraphernalia, almond milk (look out for sugar additives in some brands) and maybe some small pieces of chopped tomato or cucumber or whatever you fancy, plus some sunflower seeds or other seeds, hulled hemp seeds are good & full of protein. Oh and I just discovered amaranth-another alkaline grain and you can get delicious amaranth crackers too. OR you can have a green smoothie for breakfast & put plenty of green leaves in in with maybe an avocado or the occasional banana... All this tastes really good.

LUNCH:

Two ways I go here: one is to fill a largish bowl with quite finely chopped raw vegetables you have in the fridge, plus some olive oil (organic if poss) or flax seed oil (rich in Omega 3)hemp oil or sesame oil-finely chopped garlic if you love it as nuch as I do, more bean sprouts, herbs and spices of your choice. Finely chopped turmeric root adds colour and so many healing properties too...http://thetruthaboutcancer.com/turmeric ... nt-cancer/ Add some finely cut sundried tomatoes for new flavour, and use Himalayan pink salt, best you can eat & we do need some salt- (oh yes and ignore what the sell by date says—how can there be a sell by date when this stuff has been in the mountains for thousands of years???) Mix up, turn out on a plate and go for it.

And here are more suggestions from Colin Campbell's website (see the review of The China Diet in the Library Section)

http://nutritionstudies.org/easy-salad-every-day/

Second route is to mouli all your raw vegetables (I have a KENWOOD SMOOTHIE2GO) into a soup and then if it’s winterish you can gently warm it (test with your finger as you would for a baby) and it’s still raw if you don’t heat it up too much.

AFTERNOON HUNGER PANGS:
Don’t go hungry-a pocket full of almonds is a great standby-and if you’re at home have some tahini on some buckwheat cakes or brown rice cakes or oatcakes- tahini is made of roasted sesame seeds but is still good. There are also raw spreads you can get (at least you can in large Wholefoods stores or go online) , which of course are technically better for you if you are going for raw...

SUPPER: Here I veer towards cooked, and have some buckwheat, brown rice or quinoa,(I often put some garlic and some turmeric in the cooking water) occasional new potato or baked same, plus a variety of steamed vegetables, and again oil on them instead of butter obviously-coconut oil is good & can be added when vegetables are hot and ready to serve. Then you can have some raw salad leaves or some more bean sprouts or whatever-or an avocado guacamole—or…the possibilities are various and your meal ends up a lot more interesting than your standard meat ‘n 2 veg.

If you go out to a meal with friends, check first and then if need be take some almonds, a pack of your own salad mixed up, which you can eat alongside their vegetables and just skip the meat-and the pud of course. Being with friends is more important than getting hung up on ‘the diet’ … and again, the fizzy water with a slice of lemon

slice of lemon.jpg

in a great glass helps you get into the mood-well it does for me!

All for now but more anon-I hope others will add their own tips/suggestions/resources to keep this being an exciting journey rather than a boring chore. In the early days I used to moan a bit, then thought ‘I did this for a baby, so now I can do it for me!’.And as my husband pointed out, athletes do it...so stop grumbling eh...

There are so many links between foods you need to boost your mood, feel better about yourself, lower anxiety—these same foods are also anti-cancer.

And I’m finding as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist that more and more that a lot of the anti-cancer measures are also anti-anxiety measures. (Cancer and the stories we tell ourselves is factored in here) We know that celery stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, which is that calming part of the nervous system. So you know, a perfect snack is a bit of celery with some nut butter, try it and see...

Celery contains a plant hormone called apigenin. which is powerfully anti-cancer as you'll see if you go a-Googling...

Sweet potato, and pumpkin seeds improve your B6 levels- B-6 improves or stimulates serotonin in the body, which is that feel-good neurotransmitter. Recent studies show that high blood levels of B-6 are powerfully anti-cancer. So you can reduce your risk of cancer returning by up to 49 percent by eating a vitamin B-6 rich diet.

And hang on a moment- broccoli sprouts ( which have sulforaphane in them) and turmeric actually take on cancer stem cells, so keep on sprouting- and I use raw turmeric toot every day in salads....I may even be a bit addicted to it but hey- not a bad addiction... Take care of your stem cells, people!
stem cells.jpg

May be both.... :D
marathiunlimited

Return to Recipes